Oh geez...I have no way to remember which Rick's comments I really liked and
who I didn't (I think I liked you both), I'm just going to go from here and
remember you guys by your last names.  And I'll probably never remember all
the Toms.

>I disagree entirely with the premise of your course.  Almost all that is
>folk culture is intended, albiet perhaps unknowingly, to propagate a mind
>set.

I could not agree with you more completely.  The course did not intend that
(I was unclear, sorry I just started with this whole intellignet
conversation thing.  I've been stuck in a crappy high school for what feels
like forever).  What the course said is that in folk culture, the audience
is already familiar with that mindset and the mindset is assauged (Which,
personally, I believe is also true of popular culture but I'm just giving
the course description.  I'm a student, they're professors).  In their
definition, so-called "elite" culture tries to mold the audience mindset.
While they are drama (a so-called "elite" art), I do not find Rodgers and
Hammerstein's musicals to be molding any of my mindsets (or, more correctly,
the mindset of the cultural norm), and thus I do not consider them elite
culture.

>Exile is quick and in true folk cultures usually a sentence to
>lingering,  lonely death.

-chuckles- Again, I couldn't agree with you more.  I am an exile of American
folk culture and I have been snetenced to a lingering, lonely death.  This
is one of the things that attracted me to TSE's poetry.

>I think you got a heavy dose of folk is great, peaceful and harmonious with
>"nature's plan"  while elite is coercive, usually of the male dominated
>western heritage and therefore not so great.

Not at all.  Again, I was unclear.  This is what seems most likely (and what
I thought the course would be about), but the teacher was good and we did
not have your basic media literacy course (well I didn't but the other
students might have).

As surprising as it might be (since everyone else my age is), I am not a
stooge of popular culture.  However, they are trying to make me one through
alienation, and, sadly, they are starting to be successful.

Thomas S. (I call it!)

Evanescence...what a sad word