Oh come on.  I can assure you Steve won't think I'm slighting his
intelligence.  In fact, I was counting on it.

But if you want reasons:

First,
The connections are arbitrary.  There are woods all over 2 millennia of
Western poetry.  Pity is not bitterness.  The old waiter is not granted any
dignity by the narrator.  The narrator is not, like Dante, on a quest.  Neither
is the waiter. The waiter is not afraid of the woods; he is afraid of the dog.
The "mid-way" of life is not like the "mid-way" of some child's sexual
fantasy interrupted by a big dog.  None of it is LIKE Dante.  These parallel
words could be found in almost anyplace one wanted to look, if one forced
parallels.

Second,
None of it works in the poem as a whole;  it is a separate bit picked out of
the whole.  The poem is about childhood sexual experience and the
narrator's horror at it and his own memories.  It is not about a journey to
Hell or anywhere else.  The narrator is disgusted and tells the old waiter to
take a bath.  He gives him a small coin to do so.  He treats him in
humiliating ways.  The waiter is not going anywhere and is old and futile.

Third,
The poem ends in the Phlebas episode, which does not fit into any of this
unless you want to claim it is a kind of Dantesque punishment or you want
to stick on a divine salvation of purification by water.  There is no reason to
do either, and if you do, it does not parallel the opening of the Inferno
anyway.

Fourth,
The figure of the disgusting old man and/or the moment of sensual failure in
a garden or field or woods appears throughout early Eliot, and not in ways
like the opening of the Commedia. It is paralleled in the Hyacinth girl
episode, in "The Death of St. Narcissus," in a weird possible way in
"Hysteria."  It is pretty clearly about something else because it keeps
focusing on something else.

In other words, there is simply no reason to make this connection, and not
everything is about Dante. It is strained, arbitrary, and dependent on
disconnecting one section of the poem from the rest, and it explains
nothing.

OK?
Nancy