We've recently been discussing books and math and not much TSE.  From
math we could get into science and technology.  With Saint Patrick's
Day coming up we could get into the topics of Ireland and Irishmen
(like Joyce). Well, here are a number of sites that interweave all of
these.

Enjoy.

Regards,
   Rick Parker

SITE 1:
-------

Science, cerebral sweat, Eliot and Joyce

Mind your peas...

Popular science doesn't have to dumbed down

Just how readable should a popular science book be? This may seem an
odd question, one that simply invites the response of stating the
obvious. Nevertheless, there is an important issue at stake here, as
was made clear at last month's Aventis Science Book Awards, when jury
chairman Lewis Wolpert passionately espoused the cause for making the
genre more demanding of readers.

The biologist believes too many science writers are now running scared
of complexity. As he pointed out, the public does not expect writers
such as James Joyce or T.S. Eliot to be easy to follow.  Indeed,
readers positively relish these authors' intricacies, labyrinthine
excesses and abstruse metaphors. So why then do we exclude science
writers from such expectations, Wolpert asked. Why do we presume, with
increasing insistence, that they - and only they - adopt the approach
of the lowest common literary denominator and grind down the infinite
subtleties of the universe to an easy-to-digest pap?

In short, science books should be written to produce as much cerebral
sweat as do Ulysses and The Wasteland, a point exemplified by his
jury's choice of winner - Brian Greene's long, dense and extremely
technical The Elegant Universe (Vintage 7.99), an uncompromising
treatise on cosmology filled with descriptions of six-dimensional
Calabi-Yau spaces, orbifolding, and quantum foam.

More at http://books.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4030629,00.html

SITE 2:
-------

Eigth-grader in study hall discovers a mathematical theorem.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/ajc/epaper/editions/monday/features_a3ca67fe959dd0db00a2.html

SITE 3:
-------

Trio of Death
Feature Adventure
The Curse of Cthulhu

http://www.trioofdeath.com/featureadv.htm

Cambridge is a suburb of Boston, on the northwest bank of the
Charles River Basin, across from the downtown district. It is
here that one finds the Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
that most famous establishment of higher-learning. MIT is a
science and engineering school; artsies of all types are
considered to be something less than human, and are treated
accordingly. Ritual public sacrifices of these creatures occur
daily, with the unfortunate victims being known to shout out
``T.S. Eliot was a pussy!'', and other whimsical phrases, in the
faint hope of saving their worthless lives. Needless to say, it
never worked.

SITE 4:
-------

>From http://www.savtrav.org/show/features/2001/20010309/interview.shtml
(where you can listen to a recorded interview):

[Author] Tony Hawks wasn't about to turn down a good bet a few years
back, so he accepted a challenge to hitchhike around Ireland, toting a
refrigerator! Lucky for us, he's written a book about his rather
strange odyssey aptly titled "'Round Ireland with a 'Fridge".

See book description and reviews at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312274920/ref=ase_marketplaceradio/105-2579630-4503166