--part1_2f.119d3d20.27cf22be_boundary

In a message dated 2/28/01 9:45:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Karl Heinrich Ulrichs (1825-1895)
>
> Beginning in 1864, under the pseudonym "Numa Numantius," Ulrichs wrote a
> series of five booklets called "Researches into the Riddle of Love Between
> Men" in which he began to develop a theory of homosexuality. Men who love
> men, he argued, consist of a female soul trapped in a male body. They are
> neither male nor female in the conventional sense, but rather a third sex,
> which he called "Urning"--or "Uranian"--after the famous myth in Plato's
> Symposium in which Pausanias calls love between men "the beautiful love, the
> Heavenly love, the love belonging to the Heavenly Muse Urania."

Well, this is certainly in consonance with the Greek idea that love between
men was more exalted than love between men and women. But i didn't know they
linked it to Urania. So I stand corrected.

pat

--part1_2f.119d3d20.27cf22be_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0"><B>In a message dated 2/28/01 9:45:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,