--part1_4a.12aca2ba.27deb919_boundary

Arwin,

I think you had the right idea in turning your talents to a computer
generatred cookbook. Or switch to the PR dept at Intel, Microsoft, or IBM.

pat
================================

In a message dated 3/12/01 5:35:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Robert,
>
> You'd better not say this in the presence of a friend of mine who's got
> degrees both in mathematics and in artificial intelligence. Even his
> part-time job (he's still finishing his AI thesis) is training people to use
> math-where which is pretty well capable of solving pretty complex problems
> all by itself.
>
> A computer program is nothing more than separating the knowledge and skill
> of one or more human beings from an actual physical being, but also nothing
> less. Let's not underestimate that too much. I'm rather worried that a
> rather big and successful AI project of several years ago, "CYC", has gone
> underground and now apparently belongs to type a classified material. Or at
> least, that's what I thought because I couldn't find anything about it
> anymore, but that was over a year ago and now that I checked again, it could
> also be that now this: http://www.cyc.com/ company is cashing in on it's
> success.
>
> Ayway, best not get me started on Artificial Intelligence. One common
> definition of "Intelligence" outside the field but formulated of course
> inside the field is that "Intelligence is what computers can't do". Best
> slow down on those comments, or else we'll lose our 'homo sapiens' status.
>
> Arwin

--part1_4a.12aca2ba.27deb919_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0"><B>Arwin,
<BR>
<BR>I think you had the right idea in turning your talents to a computer
<BR>generatred cookbook. Or switch to the PR dept at Intel, Microsoft, or IBM.
<BR>
<BR>pat
<BR>
<BR>In a message dated 3/12/01 5:35:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,