--part1_dd.116bb2ba.27deb75e_boundary

In a message dated 3/12/01 5:16:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I meant "both rational and irrational numbers".  Had problems with that
> insert / delete mode on the keyboard.
>
> Robert

How did they arrive at 1200 for the number of possible arrangements? I think
the number has to be much lower, at least for the way I was doing it, which
is to assume that any map, no matter how large, can be broken down into
modules of four shapes, each of which is colored in the 4 colors. There could
be one, two, or three "leftover" shapes, but they can be treated as an
incomplete module. The hard part is figuring how to construct  any map from
the 24 sets of color arrangments possible for any individual module.  I think
one might have to go back and make an accommodation for whether an individual
module has 1, 2, or3 internal vertices that don't touch the perimeter of the
module.

But how did they compute the 1200?

pat

--part1_dd.116bb2ba.27deb75e_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0"><B>In a message dated 3/12/01 5:16:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,