--part1_31.11abbead.27deaa1b_boundary

In a message dated 3/12/01 2:47:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> . Usually once the practical proof has been achieved, this is stronger proof
> than theoretical proof, because to be one-hundred percent certain of a
> theoretical proof you just have to be sure that the theory will correctly
> predict any given situation that lies within its domain, and the least
> doubtful way of doing so is to test it with every possible situation within
> its domain.

It seems to me a mathematician would disagree with your definition of proof,
and I'm inclined to agree with the mathematical assumption that the
theoretical proof is stronger, which is precisely why we learned to do all
those geometrical proofs in high school. With a geometrical proof in hand
that certain relationships can be found in a right angle triangle, one no
longer needs to check every right angle triangle in the universe to see if it
works every time.

pat

--part1_31.11abbead.27deaa1b_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0"><B>In a message dated 3/12/01 2:47:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,