On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:13:57 EST [log in to unmask] wrote:

> In a message dated 3/12/01 11:44:39 AM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> > How do we know the computer had examined "every" case

>    It is the job of the mathematicians is to determine what is mathematically
> meant by "every case".

  [snipping, not sniping]

  The
> number of digits in the decimal system is limited to 10. How many numbers can
> be expressed?

  More than you can shake a stick at, I bet. Whereat ends infinity?

  Pat may be being stubborn, but from where I sit she is right in at
least one aspect (i.e. maybe more). Mathematics being a subset of
logic, she is asking for the logic of the professors' assertion. For my
part, I gladly yield to the professors' superior mathematical
knowledge, but I wouldn't assume that on that score their conclusion is
correct (think of all the professional disagreements in all fields on
just about everything).

 However, it does appear either that Pat will have to learn the math
involved or that the professors (or their spokespersons) will have to
learn to express the logic of that math in simple language (back to
them 26 letters and what they can do, etc), as in the complex ideas of
Plato expressed in the simple language of Socrates. The alternative
is....well, more postal slam dancing comes to mind..

 Enough. My last two posts have not made it to the list. If this one
gets through, it will only encourage me to post more.

 Do we map Monday blue?

 Cheer,
 Ken