Since I posted before on that 'stupid "the Mona Lisa is Leonardo
in drag" stuff' you had to know that this was coming.

Pat Sloane wrote:

> There was a period, you know, when an attempt was made to demonstrate that
> computers can do all kinds of things they aren't actually capable of doing.
> One engineer was claiming a computer could make Mondrian paintings,

For amusement purposes only (don't create any forgeries) visit
    http://www.aukword.demon.co.uk/piran/mondrian/creator.html
and create your own pictures and then compare them with Mondrian's
    http://www.aukword.demon.co.uk/piran/mondrian/resources.html#paintings

I don't know how good of a site this is but you can check out
    http://www.aukword.demon.co.uk/piran/mondrian/
    http://www.aukword.demon.co.uk/piran/mondrian/resources.html

N.B. The creator of the above web site is NOT the engineer the Pat
wrote of.  It appears that the Mondrian program was created in the
late 60's and, if so, it couldn't have been done in javascript.

> and another [engineer] started that stupid "the Mona Lisa is Leonardo
> in drag" stuff. Here, the arguments were set forth in relatively brief
> articles. And when one finished reading the articles, one realized
> each was written by a person who didn't know a thing about art, and
> therefore didn't know how to interpret the data.

That "engineer" was Lillian F. Schwartz who worked at Bell Labs.
She is also an artist. See some of her work at her Bell Lab page.

http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/lil/

where it states:

    Lillian Schwartz is best known for her pioneering work in the use of
    computers for what has since become known as computer-generated art
    and computer-aided art analysis, including film/video, animation,
    special effects, virtual reality, multimedia, graphics, and the world
    wide web. Her work is recognized for its aesthetic success and is the
    first in this medium to be acquired by The Museum of Modern Art. A
    Fellow of the World Academy of Art and Science, Schwartz authored,
    with Laurens R. Schwartz, The Computer Artist's Handbook (W.W. Norton,
    1992).

There are links to: Art films/videos and documentaries, Awards,
Narrative Biography, Books, Collections and exhibitions, Group
exhibitions, One-person exhibitions, Publications, Reviews, TV shows.

At her "who is" page

    http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/lil/narr2000.html

we read (amongst other art related items):

    Schwartz's education began immediately after World War II when she
    studied Chinese brushwork with Tshiro in Japan. Over the following
    years she studied the fine arts with professionals such as Giannini,
    Kearns, and Joe Jones. She is self-taught with regard to film and
    computer interfacing, and programming.

A bit more on her can be read at the web site for Modern American Poetry

    http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/g_l/grimke/aimone.htm

Where there is at least a portion of Joseph Aimone's essay 'Angelina
Ward Grimké's "A Mona Lisa" - A Kleinian Reading' (see particularly
the next to last paragraph.)

While a computer was used in morphing a picture of an old man with
that of Mona Lisa, the montage of the two side-by-side faces need not
have been created with a computer.  The image can be seen at:

    http://library.thinkquest.org/13681/data/lillians.htm

You should be able to see from the montage where one can theorize that the
Mona Lisa was a fantasy self-protrait.

N.B.  Previously Pat has posted that the picture of the old man used
in Schwartz's montage may not actually be Leonardo and that there is
no proof that Leonardo was homosexual.

Regards,
   Rick Parker