--============_-1227717746==_ma============

There are two  books on the subject that I'm aware of, in addition to
numerous articles in semi-popular mathematical collections.

The Four-Color Problem: Assaults and Conquest, by Thomas L. Saaty and
Paul C. Kainen, the authors of the original proof, first published in 1977 by
McGraw-Hill, and reprinted in a slightly expanded edition by Dover Publications
in 1986.

The Four-Color Theorem: History, Topological Foundations and Idea of
Proof, by Rudolf Fritsch and Gerda Fritsch, published by
Bibliographisches Institut
& F.A. Brockhaus in 1994, English translation published by
Springer-Verlag, 1998.

This latter book covers both the original proof, recent advances in
the simplification
of the original proof (although still computer-assisted), as well as
the history and
foundations of the topological (not design) problem.

>In a message dated 3/11/01 7:27:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>>In Dublin I read part of the book on the history of the map-colouring
>>problem and how it was solved, which was really interesting to read - it
>>was one of the first proofs in which computers played a great part and
>>hence it was and still is very controversial.
>>

>Arwin,
>
>What's the book?
--============_-1227717746==_ma============

addition to</div>
Saaty and</div>
published in 1977 by</div>
Dover Publications</div>
Idea of</div>
Bibliographisches Institut</div>
Springer-Verlag, 1998.</div>
in the simplification</div>
well as the history and</div>
message dated 3/11/01 7:27:31 PM Eastern Standard
<b></b>
color="#0000FF">In Dublin I read part of the book on the history of
the map-colouring<br>
problem and how it was solved, which was really interesting to read -
it<br>
was one of the first proofs in which computers played a great part
and</font></blockquote>
color="#0000FF">hence it was and still is very
controversial.</font><br>
color="#000000"><b><br>