----------
>Von: Marcia Karp <[log in to unmask]>
>An: [log in to unmask]
>Betreff: Re: Weeping multitudes&leagalize it
>Datum: Sam, 10. Mär 2001 16:29 Uhr
>

>Gunnar Jauch wrote:
>

>> PS: Who said: "Wear your learning like your pocket watch -- only take
>> it out when asked"?
>
>Lord Chesterfield wrote something like this to his son.
>

>M.

Thank you Marcia, I have found the Chesterfield quote, with others equally
intelligent, on
http://www.cybernation.com/victory/quotations/authors/quotes_chesterfield_lo
rd.html:

Never seem wiser, nor more learned, than the people you are with. Wear your
learning, like your watch, in a private pocket: and do not merely pull it
out and strike it; merely to show that you have one.

Another good one:

Never hold anyone by the button or the hand in order to be heard out; for if
people are unwilling to hear you, you had better hold your tongue than them.

Gunnar