Gunnar Jauch wrote:

> Morning at the Window (the poem makes me think of the haunting Hopper
> painting...):
> *And a tear from a passer-by with muddy skirts*,

Gunnar,
    I share Pat's admiration for your memory, but must, for the sake of
Eliot's hard work, correct the above line.  "Tear" is a verb there and
doesn't mean "cause the eye to flow" but "rip."

     And tear from a passer-by with muddy skirts
     An aimless smile that hovers in the air
     And vanishes along the level of the roofs.

Quoting mundanely -- without the aid of Gunnar's sweet smoke and with
the aid of my book --
Marcia