> DIESE NACHRICHT IST IN MIME-FORMAT. Da Ihr Mailreader dieses Format nicht
unterstźtzt, kšnnte diese Nachricht ganz oder teilweise unlesbar sein.

--MS_Mac_OE_3067037546_454772_MIME_Part

----------
Von: [log in to unmask]
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: Weeping multitudes
Datum: Fre, 9. M=E4r 2001 19:07 Uhr

Maybe Dante's image of Mary (who wept) stayed with him, and he connected it=

up with the image (originally from Psalms) of the whole universe joining in
symphony to praise God for their creation. If the universe can sing, then
the
universe can weep (the weeping comets and asteroids), again perhaps because=

they were created.

This looks like a good place for you to turn to Greg Foster's wonderful
concordance, and get a list of everywhere weeping is mentioned in any
published Eliot poem. Then it would be interesting to see what you make of
it.

pat

In a message dated 3/9/01 11:48:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Given that the "Cooking Egg" lines about weeping follow lines about Heaven
(e.g., "I shall not want Pipit in Heaven"), do you think TSE is alluding to=

the Commedia here?  The repetition of "weeping" seems to be another clue,
in
that instead of a phrase like "Weeping, hopeless multitudes" or " Weeping,
anguished multitudes" we have "Weeping, weeping multitudes".

    This is a small point, but I'm still pondering La Figlia's title, "The
Weeping Daughter" and so I'm thinking about TSE's use of the word. The only=

other instance I can find is "Comets weep and Leonids fly" from East Coker
[line 64], but that doesn't seem to fit the use in "A Cooking Egg" or the
"La
Figlia" title.

Dear Pat & Steve,

an interesting proposition!

There comes to mind:

*Difficulties of a Statesman* (Cry what shall I cry?),
TWL: *By the waters of Leman I sat down and wept*,
Morning at the Window (the poem makes me think of the haunting Hopper
painting...):
*And a tear from a passer-by with muddy skirts*,

and a poem which, as I recall,  hasn't ever been discussed in this forum:

Eyes that last I saw in Tears,

with its wonderfully enigmatic last lines:

*The eyes outlast a little while
A little while outlast the tears
And hold us in derision.*

I'm sure there must be others.

Cheers,

Gunnar

*She told me: take life easy, as the grass grew on the weirs,
But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears*.
WBY

Talking about *grass* -- forgive my digressing.:

Today's good news, and, as I believe, a step in the right direction:

Our  government has declared that a law will be proposed to  decriminalize
the use, growth and sale of Cannabis products for adult Swiss citizens.

The reason given was that the laws have to be put in concord with society's
reality of an estimated half a million  regular users of this non habit
forming substance (ours is a country about the size of New Hampshire...!).

The more radical initial proposal to leaglize all drugs for personal use
wasn't  adopted.
The law enforcement units up to now in charge of persecuting soft drug user=
will be used to crack down harder on organized crime.

It's good to know that I won't have to worry much longer about being
arrested because of my juicy terrace plants ... ;-)

--MS_Mac_OE_3067037546_454772_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Weeping multitudes&leagalize it</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<BR>
----------<BR>
Von: [log in to unmask]<BR>
An: [log in to unmask]<BR>
Betreff: Re: Weeping multitudes<BR>
Datum: Fre, 9. M=E4r 2001 19:07 Uhr<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><B>Maybe Dante's image of Mary (who wept) stayed with him, and =
he connected it <BR>
up with the image (originally from Psalms) of the whole universe joining in=
 a <BR>
symphony to praise God for their creation. If the universe can sing, then t=
he <BR>
universe can weep (the weeping comets and asteroids), again perhaps because=
 <BR>
they were created. <BR>
<BR>
This looks like a good place for you to turn to Greg Foster's wonderful <BR=

concordance, and get a list of everywhere weeping is mentioned in any <BR>
published Eliot poem. Then it would be interesting to see what you make of =
it. <BR>
<BR>
pat <BR>
<BR>
</B></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<B><BR>
</B><BLOCKQUOTE><B><BR>
In a message dated 3/9/01 11:48:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, <BR>
</B><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>[log in to unmask]</U></FONT><B> writes: <BR>
<BR>
</B><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>Given that the &quot;Cooking Egg&quot; lines about weeping foll=
ow lines about Heaven <BR>
(e.g., &quot;I shall not want Pipit in Heaven&quot;), do you think TSE is a=
lluding to <BR>
the Commedia here? &nbsp;The repetition of &quot;weeping&quot; seems to be =
another clue, <BR>
in <BR>
that instead of a phrase like &quot;Weeping, hopeless multitudes&quot; or &=
quot; Weeping, <BR>
anguished multitudes&quot; we have &quot;Weeping, weeping multitudes&quot;.=
 <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;This is a small point, but I'm still pondering La F=
iglia's title, &quot;The <BR>
Weeping Daughter&quot; and so I'm thinking about TSE's use of the word. The=
 only <BR>
other instance I can find is &quot;Comets weep and Leonids fly&quot; from E=
ast Coker <BR>
[line 64], but that doesn't seem to fit the use in &quot;A Cooking Egg&quot=
; or the <BR>
&quot;La <BR>
Figlia&quot; title. <BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<B><BR>
</B></BLOCKQUOTE>Dear Pat &amp; Steve,<BR>
<BR>
an interesting proposition!<BR>
<BR>
There comes to mind:<BR>
<BR>
*Difficulties of a Statesman* (Cry what shall I cry?),<BR>
TWL: *By the waters of Leman I sat down and wept*,<BR>
Morning at the Window (the poem makes me think of the haunting Hopper paint=
ing...):<BR>
*And a tear from a passer-by with muddy skirts*,<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
and a poem which, as I recall, &nbsp;hasn't ever been discussed in this for=
um:<BR>
<BR>
Eyes that last I saw in Tears, <BR>
<BR>
with its wonderfully enigmatic last lines:<BR>
<BR>
*The eyes outlast a little while<BR>
A little while outlast the tears<BR>
And hold us in derision.*<BR>
<BR>
I'm sure there must be others.<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
<BR>
Gunnar<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
*She told me: take life easy, as the grass grew on the weirs,<BR>
But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears*. <BR>
WBY<BR>
<BR>
Talking about *grass* -- forgive my digressing.:<BR>
<BR>
Today's good news, and, as I believe, a step in the right direction:<BR>
<BR>
Our &nbsp;government has declared that a law will be proposed to &nbsp;decr=
iminalize the use, growth and sale of Cannabis products for adult Swiss citi=
zens.<BR>
<BR>
The reason given was that the laws have to be put in concord with society's=
 reality of an estimated half a million &nbsp;regular users of this non habi=
t forming substance (ours is a country about the size of New Hampshire...!).=
<BR>
<BR>
The more radical initial proposal to leaglize all drugs for personal use wa=
sn't &nbsp;adopted. <BR>
The law enforcement units up to now in charge of persecuting soft drug user=
s will be used to crack down harder on organized crime.<BR>
<BR>
It's good to know that I won't have to worry much longer about being arrest=
ed because of my juicy terrace plants ... ;-)<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<B><BR>
<BR>
</B></BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3067037546_454772_MIME_Part--