   During our recent "La Figlia" discussions, Pat mentioned that "everyone in
the Commedia is weeping."  That reminded me of the end of "A Cooking Egg":

   Weeping, weeping multitudes
   Droop in a hundred A.B.C.'s

Given that the "Cooking Egg" lines about weeping follow lines about Heaven
(e.g., "I shall not want Pipit in Heaven"), do you think TSE is alluding to
the Commedia here?  The repetition of "weeping" seems to be another clue, in
that instead of a phrase like "Weeping, hopeless multitudes" or " Weeping,
anguished multitudes" we have "Weeping, weeping multitudes".

    This is a small point, but I'm still pondering La Figlia's title, "The
Weeping Daughter" and so I'm thinking about TSE's use of the word. The only
other instance I can find is "Comets weep and Leonids fly" from East Coker
[line 64], but that doesn't seem to fit the use in "A Cooking Egg" or the "La
Figlia" title.

-- Steve --