Dear Arwin,

This remains a disagreement about words and meanings.  I do not consider
that there are any unmediated facts.  I tried to write that chapter by
trudging dutifully through the information I had sequentially.  It was dreadful
and not authentic, real, or "true" to anything I had learned.  Then I started
over with techniques from "fiction" because I went to the Shetlands in 1979
and Chris went in 1932, and you had to get there the same way.  So I
wrote what I saw--because it is what he saw; it had not changed.  You
might find it interesting to read; I'd be fascinated at your reaction.  It's
"interpretation" and there was no other way to do it.  What does one know--
what everyone says about him, what he read, what he is said in
newspapers to have done, what he said to me when I interviewed him a
year before he died.  None of that is "objective fact."

I've done the other also.  In the edited book on MacDiarmid I have interviews
about him with Seamus Heaney, Norman MacCaig, and John Montague.
You tell me which one knew who Chris "really" was.

Nancy