On Tue, 6 Mar 2001 21:04:49 -0500 Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I do not understand on what possible basis you can judge Gordon's
> meticulously researched material "fiction."  It is consistently based on cited
> material, and--more signicantly--Gordon has now done three biographies
> that have gone over and over parallel ground with exacting care.  It is simply
> not possible to dismiss
 Nancy,

  But no one is dismissing Gordon; just pointing out that her
interpretation of Eliot's life is still that, an interpretation. There
are citations, and then there are the selection and presentation of
citations.

 Arwin says explicitly that she excels in facts. It is what she has
done with them that raises eyebrows. She has cut Eliot's life to fit
her prejudices. That, too, should not be dismissed.

 Ken