In a message dated Mon, 5 Mar 2001  5:03:26 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes, among other things:

<< If Eliot's will says nobody can quote from his letters until all of them have
been published, and Valerie Eliot doesn't get all of them published...then
what happens?

pat>>

Fascinating article, Pat.  Thanks for sending it along.

I can't imagine that any restrictions in Eliot's will could operate to prevent people from quoting materials once they've been published.  The Eliot estate could assert its licensing authority under US copyright law to refuse permission to reprint letters, and presumably is more likely to do so in light of the will, but the estate would appear powerless to prevent such citations as are permitted under the "fair use" doctrine.

In the US, at least, it seems the ability to quote from the published letters would be governed by the copyright laws, and not by anything in TSE's will.

Speaking as a layman, as intellectual property is not my area of expertise,

Tom K