--part1_64.bbd2cef.27d415bb_boundary

[log in to unmask] writes:

> Thanks for straightening me out

Listen, you and I are OK.  It's just that stories get passed around from one
commentator to another, and sometimes get turned into a terrible hash in the
process--so that the final product sounds nothing at all like the original
story. That's the justification for routinely checking the original source,
which some people remember to do more than others. You'll recall, a number of
posts back, that I should have checked the BBC transcript of Hayward's radio
program, rather than relying on Gardner's summary.  With Gardner, it's not a
question of whether she's reliable (she is). It's that she was giving only a
brief summary. She might not have seen any reason to mention, for her own
purposes, details in the transcript that could be important to me.

best,

pat

--part1_64.bbd2cef.27d415bb_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0"><B>In a message dated 3/4/01 1:40:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,