Dear Ken,

I agree with all but one point.  I think the lack of a birth canal is part of
Pound's conceit, as in "nuptials thus doubly difficult."  It is all a joke I think--
that there is a difficulty in begetting and a difficulty in birthing between
males, so the physical basis of the metaphor is consistent.  The physical
difficulty IS the literal basis of the metaphor; there is no womb or vagina or
egg in a male either.  So like most if not all conceits, this has a literalism
as its first imagery.
Nancy