Just trying to follow the he said/she said, I wonder if one confusion is
nestled in this exchange between Rickard and Pat:

The first is Pat quoted by Rickard, followed by the latter's response:

<<> I doubt that the Italian "pensar" is used or was used in any kind of
> way for physical conception.

I think that Eliot checked the Italian and would not have seen any pun
in it.  If you want to argue that his puns depended on one having a
specific translation of Dante, that is a different matter.>>

Pat says, in effect, that "pensar" is NOT used to mean physical
conception, but Rickard seems to read it as if she DOES suggest it can be
punned into physical conception.

Ken A