> You don't say what dictionary you used. I have Cassell's.
> As a synonym for English "conceive" it has Italian "pensare."

Pat,

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, honest. I'm just pointing
out something that you should look into before using the "conceive" pun
in print.

I agree that a valid translatation of "pensare" is conceive (of an
idea.) I agree that when we read the English word "conceive" we can think of
conceiving an idea or we can think of conceiving a child.  I do not know
for sure, but I doubt that a valid translation of "pensare" is conceive
(a child.)

If I may I would like to try an analogy.

I'm not a doctor.  Let's say a friend of mine, who is also not a doctor,
sees a bad mole on my back when we are at the beach.  He thinks it may be
cancerous I should see a doctor.  I can argue with him, I can ignore his
advice, I can ask other people their opinion or I can go to a doctor.

Here are some questions I would ask "the doctor":

1) Would Eliot make a pun out of Dante's Italian?
2) Would Eliot make a pun out of an English author's words?
3) Would Eliot make a pun out of the only English translation of a work?
4) Would Eliot make a pun out of only one of many English translations
   of Dante?
5) Would an expert Italian/English translator under this use of
   "pensare" (or any other use) translate it with the meaning of "conceive
   a child?"
6) Would Eliot attempt to understand the Italian for a phrase of Dante's
   that he planned to on?
7) Was his French and Latin good enough to allow him to do a good job
   translating the phrase by himself?

I would say yes to some of the above, no to some, and I'm not sure of
others.

Now, you will certainly agree that I'm not as careful as Eliot, nor as
good with English, French, Latin or Italian.  Yet when I saw the Temple
Classics' use of "conceive" and your wanting to pun on it I went to the
trouble of checking the Italian and 3 English translations.  It took me
longer to check the Italian than Eliot, who only had to move his eyes
over to the next page or turn a few (I did get the rest easier than him
though, thanks to computer files.) So I think you have to ask what Eliot
would do when he saw Temple's "conceive."

So, please check out "pensare" with an expert before going to print.

Regards,
   Rick Parker