Richard Seddon wrote:

> "In a Station of the Metro" is considered the "type" Imagist poem.  An Image
> transports the reader to another perceptual plane.  ...  I used it as an
> example of the ideogrammic method in a tortured fashion.  The proper
> ideogram is formed from the juxtapositioning of Images (big "I").  One "can"
> read "In a Station of the Metro" as two Images (big "I") which are
> juxtaposed.  I used that poem because of its fame and general familiarity to
> all.  In justification of its choice I can say I was following Gefin who
> sees it as an type example of  ideogrammic method.
>
> You may be equating Image (big "I") to the metaphor.  An Image has a
> discernable shift of context, one is transported to another perceptual
> plane.  Metaphor is a comparison;  one is given a "same as".  An "Image" is
> not "same as", it is "different from" but is "created from".  Metaphors
> could be used to create an Image "big "I".  One of my favorite Pound poems
> is (appropriately enough) "Fish and the Shadow", page 162 of the 1990 New
> Directions "Personae".   It is Ideogrammic.
>
> In a hurry, Guru awaits in the temple of learning

Quickly on my part, too.  A metaphor is a relation.  Not "the same as."  "The
red red" may have some interest, but it is not a metaphor.  "The red anger" is.
The two lines of Pound's "Metro" are images that together form a metaphor
(Greek.  cf. Latin: translatio.)

Maybe I would understand if I knew what an "Image" is in relation to an "image."

>From the fish to the shadow,
M.