Marcia:

"In a Station of the Metro" is considered the "type" Imagist poem.  An Image
transports the reader to another perceptual plane. "In a Station of the
Metro" consists of two lines.  Each line is an image (little "I") or scene.
When one reads the two lines one is transported to another perceptual plane.
One perceives something that is not given in the text.   I used it as an
example of the ideogrammic method in a tortured fashion.  The proper
ideogram is formed from the juxtapositioning of Images (big "I").  One "can"
read "In a Station of the Metro" as two Images (big "I") which are
juxtaposed.  I used that poem because of its fame and general familiarity to
all.  In justification of its choice I can say I was following Gefin who
sees it as an type example of  ideogrammic method.  Pound really hits his
ideogrammic stride with "The Cantos" where seemingly unrelated words and
phrases in several languages including Chinese form all there is of a canto.
Another very Imagist poem with ideogrammic tendencies is "Fan-Piece, For Her
Imperial Lord".  "Taking Leave of a Friend" is  ideogrammic.

You may be equating Image (big "I") to the metaphor.  An Image has a
discernable shift of context, one is transported to another perceptual
plane.  Metaphor is a comparison;  one is given a "same as".  An "Image" is
not "same as", it is "different from" but is "created from".  Metaphors
could be used to create an Image "big "I".  One of my favorite Pound poems
is (appropriately enough) "Fish and the Shadow", page 162 of the 1990 New
Directions "Personae".   It is Ideogrammic.

In a hurry, Guru awaits in the temple of learning
Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM, USA