Dear Richard,

If you liked _Sands of the Well_, I think you might like some of her previous
religious work even better.  I think _Breathing the Water_ has much of her
best religious work in it.  I like much of her very early work also, and I
especially like the sort of transitional poetry in _Candles in Babylon_.
But we are all haunted by what we have never read.

Is "stone" really an action at its core?  (Of course in "stoning" it is a verb,
but I think that is not the origin.)

On Emerson, I haven't thought about that and have not read Emerson in so
long I have no immediate notion.  I doubt that would be a source, however,
just from what she says and where she came from.  But perhaps you will
know when you look at what she says.
Nancy