Rick:

For info on the ideogrammic method see: Laszlo K Gefin (accent mark over the
"e"); "Ideogram: History of a Poetic Method".  Pound develops the method
scattered over numerous books,  essays and letters which makes it difficult
to reference through Pound.

Regarding the Chinese arranging their ideograms as spatial art:  Speakers of
tonal languages such as Vietnamese often arrange/choose their words for the
beauty of the song,  Arabic and Farsi (Persian/Iranian) writers also choose
words for their visual beauty.

Gefin and Yip (in "Ezra Pound's 'Cathay'") would include as poets using
Pound's ideogrammic method, Williams, Olson, Creeley, Snyder, Zukofsky,
Reznikoff, Oppen, Duncan and Ginsburg.(page xviii of Gefin)

Regarding TSE and TWL, Gefin states, "But Eliot, apart from 'The Waste
Land', is not ideogrammic"( page xviii).  This would seem to include TWL, in
Gefin's thinking,  as an ideogrammic poem.  He goes on to state that even
given TWL as ideogrammic it differs from other ideogrammic poetry in being
"analytical in approach and form"  whereas other ideogrammic poetry is
"synthetical".  I  do not fully understand Gefin's distinction here and need
to study it much more.  He also implies that TSE's non-use of the
ideogrammic method, except for TWL,  was part of the reason for Williams'
disapproval of TSE.  Gefin states that Pound's poems "Homage to Sextus
Propertius" and "Mauberley" also follow the analytical distinction vice
synthetical.  "Homage" is another of Pound's creative translations.

Nancy has alluded to her problems with finding structure in TWL.  ( I hope
I'm not putting words in her mouth but that has been my sense of what she
has said in the past. )  An ideogrammic poem would properly have a very
special structure that would fit no norms for literary  structure as the
word is commonly used by critics.

Ideogrammic poetry approaches spatial art.  I am currently reading Donald
Davie "Ezra Pound: Poet as Sculptor".  The Image which is used is still
temporal as it must be being language.  The juxtapositioning of Images
creates a poem  that may be very spatial and not temporal at all since that
poem is formed at the intersections of the Images and does not involve
language.  If I state "rust" , "robin", "blood", "rose", "cherry", "apple",
"radish", "wheelbarrow" :>), your mind will create a composite "image"
(little i) of the concept "red".  I never say red, it is not part of the
statement, yet your mind supplies it.  The words "rust", "blood",
"wheelbarrow" etc. are images (I don't want to call them Images [big "I"])
which combine into the ideogram in your mind for "red".  A poet using this
method can transport you to conceptual levels you would not otherwise visit.
"In a Station of the Metro"  does this.  In the poem there are two Images
(big "I") and one composite poem which forms at the intersection of the
Images.  Nothing prevents the poet from using Images to form ideograms and
then juxtaposing ideograms to form a super-ideogram.  TWL may very well be a
super-ideogrammic poem.

Retreating towards my red rock's shadow in anticipation of correction by the
truly knowledgeable,
Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM, USA