Rick wrote, among other things:

<<Thanks for doing my typing Steve.  I was rather terse.  I got swamped this morning with e-mail of all kinds: list, off list, friends and web site.  I haven't gotten back to all yet.

The ANZACs were at Gallipoli for less than a year.  There was still almost 3 years of war in front of them (1916-18) and they were redeployed.  This page tells their history:

    http://www.worldwar1.com/sfanzac.htm

Note the casulty figures at the end.  They were very high for the number of men deployed.  They were also very high for the small populations of New Zealand and Australia at the time.>>

While we're on the subject, the significance of the Dardanelles campaign to both Australia and New Zealand is generally under-appreciated in other nations.  It probably had not fully developed when Eliot was writing, and he might not have known of it if it had.  But it is worth noting, while discussing the campaign.

Not only is ANZAC day, commemerating the landing, a major national holiday in those nations, but the campaign itself is generally considered the point at which those nations were born.  There is a poem by an Austrlian poet about the campaign which ends, to paraphrase, "now we know what nations know/and feel what nations feel."

Not that I am any expert on ANZAC sentiments generally -- I've never been to either country -- but I did visit the battlefield last year.  On our tour group of about 30 people, my wife and I evidently were the only non-ANZAC's.  The town of Canakkale, just across the strait, is full of Australian restaurants and bars, and most surely be the only place in Turkey where one can get a kangaroo steak.  (By contrast, I hear it's rather easy to get a turkey in Australia.)  A rather strange cultural interlude, for one hoping to explore an Islamic (albeit secular) nation.

Tom K