And Rick wrote:

>  Donald Childs, "Stetson in The Waste Land," Essays in Criticism," April,
>  1988.

    That's the article I cited in my Monday post, and Rick is correct about
Childs' information. I don't have the article with me at work to quote from
it, but Childs quotes stories from the London newspapers of the time about
the parades that were held in London in April, 1916 to honor the Anzacs (who
had landed at Gallipoli in April of the year before). As Childs reports it,
the Australian troops, and ONLY the Australian troops, marched through London
in the Anzac parade. In the newspaper story that Childs quotes, the Anzacs
'slouch hats' are specifically mentioned.

     Another Anzac parade was held in London in 1919 as a final tribute to
the Anzac troops before they made a final return to Australia. That was right
about the time of the Near East Conference, called to settle the territorial
dispute (over the Dardanelles and Smyrna) between Turkey and Greece. So
Childs implies that the combination of the Anzac parades and the Near East
Conference, all held in London,  inspired TSE to use the Anzacs as his
Gallipoli symbol.

-- Steve --