[Repost of something I sent out about 12 hours ago.]

Thank you Steve for the Stetson/Gallipoli post.

I was going to add some corrections and additional information to this
post but I thought that that would be too distracting.  I'm going to
send that in a seperate post and make this one more to the point that
you want to discuss.  And that is that Australian soldiers marching
though London would have triggered memories of the Gallipoli campaign
and possibly (likely?) Verdenal's death.  The London conference would
have done the same.  I don't see as much of a connection between the
dog digging and the diggers, mostly that would come from grave imagery
and Webster anyway but it does have a way of reinforcing Child's
personal meaning to these passages.

I think that there is another reason for Mr Eugenides being from
Smyrna, other than the London Conference.  Smyrna also happens to be
the name of Adonis' mother.  She had an "unholy love" for her father
and this incest produced Adonis.  This reinforces the unshaven/unclean
Mr. Eugenides making an "unholy" proposition.  It also causes me to
see this as the negative side to the resurrection of Phlebas (or the
Hyacinth girl.)  Eliot sees his friend reborn in poetry but it is not
all good, guilty thoughts arise with the dead too.  And before I'm
accused of gay bashing let me say that I'm using the words "unholy"
and "unclean" above in a way that the poet might use them (if he ever
discussed his work.)

Regards,
   Rick Parker