Rickard Parker wrote:

> Maybe noone out west refers to their hat as a Stetson but many of us
> dudes do (I wouldn't but I do call a tissue a Kleenex) While in WW-I
> England, Stetsons might have refered to Aussies' slouch hats I would
> say that in the modern day U.S. saying "Stetson" brings up the image
> of a cowboy hat.  Just to prove to myself that this was the case I ran
> a quick search for "his Stetson" at Google and read the context
> messages printed below each page title.  I got things like:
>
>     Slim Pickens), after he confirms the order to attack the Soviet Union,
>     puts on his Stetson hat as he drawls, "Well boys, I guess this is
>     it. Nuclear combat
>
>     she took his heart. Boy didnt know what he was getting into when he
>     tilted his Stetson and crossed her path
>
>     He shoved to his feet, his Stetson swinging casually in his hand

I must have misunderstood.  Certainly people will refer to their Stetson as
such, but I was saying that they wouldn't do so as a style.  I've never
heard anyone call a hat a Stetson that was not, on its inside label, a
genuine Stetson.  Similarly, someone might make reference to their "Lamas"
(my brother's preferred brand, Tony Lama Boots, but they wouldn't do that if
the boots were made by Justin Boots.  That was how I understood your mention
of Stetsons as a "style."  Ironically, Justin Boots now owns Tony Lama.

yrs,
Justin