Rick S,

I've heard the word in movie serials & maybe feature length movies, all from
the late 30s or early 40s, but always in connection with the word ranch as
in "dude-ranch" (not a real ranch but kind of a resort thing where
easterners could pretend to be cowboys).  In the 60s my dad was stationed in
France & we didn't have US TV so the base theater would show all these 30s /
40s serials before the feature film on Saturday mornings for us kids.

Robert