Rick:

This Zen posting struck a cord.  or is it chord.  (Oh well the list is use
to my speling :>) by now).  TSE's friend, cheerleader and editor, Ezra
Pound,  was much into Chinese poetry.  His "Cathay", published in 1915, is a
free translation of  poems mostly by the ancient Chinese poet Li Po.
Pound's study of the Fenollosa notebooks which led to "Cathay" supplied
Pound with the summary thinking that he needed for the "ideogrammic method"
which ties a neat knot around his ideas of Imagism and Vorticism.  Pound had
a technical word for what the answer on the Zen list is trying to say.  He
called this relationship of words, logopoeia.  He felt that logopoeia, "the
dance of intellect among words", is  impossible to translate into another
language.  Fenollosa believed that Chinese was a language properly without
syntax.  That the ideograms supplied the syntax.

My point with this longwinded exercise is that you may be closer to the
truth than you realize.  In the ideogrammic method Images are set side by
side without syntax to create meaning in (not at)  the boundary.  That
meaning is totally unstated and might be incorrectly thought of as "reading
between the lines".  One is actually reading between the Images.  TWL may be
TSE's only Imagist poem and it for sure had a Vorticist as an editor.  Many
people reject the meaning they receive from the boundry and continue to
attempt to extract meaning directly from the Images.  The isolated Image may
very easily seem nonsence since the intended meaning lies not in the Image
but in the boundry.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM, USA