Rick Seddon wrote:

> I agree absolutely.

Maybe noone out west refers to their hat as a Stetson but many of us
dudes do (I wouldn't but I do call a tissue a Kleenex) While in WW-I
England, Stetsons might have refered to Aussies' slouch hats I would
say that in the modern day U.S. saying "Stetson" brings up the image
of a cowboy hat.  Just to prove to myself that this was the case I ran
a quick search for "his Stetson" at Google and read the context
messages printed below each page title.  I got things like:

    Slim Pickens), after he confirms the order to attack the Soviet Union,
    puts on his Stetson hat as he drawls, "Well boys, I guess this is
    it. Nuclear combat

    she took his heart. Boy didnt know what he was getting into when he
    tilted his Stetson and crossed her path

    He shoved to his feet, his Stetson swinging casually in his hand

    the inscrutable cowboy half hidden under the concealing brim of
    his Stetson

I've satisfied myself.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22his+Stetson%22&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&start=10&sa=N

Regards,
   Rick Parker

P.S. Rick, do you ever wear the Mountie's hat on the range or in town?
It took me a little bit of courage to wear my similar hat on the road.