Dear Raphael,

I am not an essentialist.

The review is in the Athenaeum, 1 Aug. 1919:  680.

My book was published in Britain also by Edinburgh UP, so it should be in
libraries there as well as here.  As this is a topic on which I think Eliot was
very mistaken, my position is pretty clearly pro-MacDiarmid in the article.
It does not mean I agree with MacDiarmid's notions of a kind of essential
Scottishism, but then my point is that they agree on the idea of language,
just not on whether Scots is one.  While it is true that economically and
politically Scots was marginalized, and that meant it was broken into
dialects within Scotland, linguistically it makes as much sense to call
English a dialect of Scots as the other way around.  If one goes back to the
earliest known text of "Inglis" (Caedmon's Hymn) one is in Northumbrian,
not Mercian.
Best,
Nancy