> Also, it is fair to ask why speaking English, rather than the native
tongue, would advance one's social
> and economic prospects *in Wales*?

First of all because one may want to move to England for economic / personal
reasons, second because South Wales was already English-speaking to a large
extent. A Welsh nationalist MP recently caused a storm of protest when he
referred to English as a foreign language - his critics included fellow
members of Plaid Cymru.

Yours,

Raphael Ingelbien