Dear Raphael,

You are absolutely right about the collusion of many Scottish aristocrats in
both English language imposition and the Clearances. If you will remember,
I described the booing of the Duke and Duchess of Sutherland.  They were
Scots.  It's a long story and a complicated one, and I think my point
included--perhaps not clearly--what you point out.  But on the TSE issue,
see my previous message.  I would very much like to discuss it, and I have
written on it.
Nancy