Nancy Gish wrote:

> "The Story of English" was extremely well done, and I assume the facts
> were pretty accurate, but the thesis it promoted was, in my view, very
> problematic.  The only section I could really evaluate was on Scots (and to
> some extent Gaelic), and I found it infuriating in its assumptions about the
> wonderful way English supplanted them.  It simply did not happen that way
> nor was its priviliging welcomed.
>
> I saw it too long ago to be specific, but I do think it was an exercise in
> presumption and self congratulation that dismissed other cultures.  I am
> remembering my distressed reaction rather than specific examples.

I saw "The Story of English" too long ago to remember a lot of detail
but I do recall (rightly or wrongly) that the show that brought in the
Scots started with the battle of Culloden and mentioning that a new
anti-Scots verse was added to the new anthem "God Save the King."  I
hope that I am remembering this correctly.  I have the book but it is
packed away someplace and I am NOT going to unpack.  So I would say
that if this were true the producers knew that the Scots didn't just
take to the English language.

I did do a bit of web searching and have come up with the following:

"God Save the King" dates to 1745.
The battle of Culloden was 1746.
The verse that was added was:

    God grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy Mighty aid,
    Victory bring,
    May he sedition hush,
    And like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush,
    God save the King.

The Rise & Fall of the Jacobite Rebellion
    http://www.highlanderweb.co.uk/culloden/jacobite.htm

The web page above, after telling the story of Culloden, ends with:

    I am a Highland born and bred 26 year old. In my school days I was
    taught English history - William the Conqueror - The Romans - King
    Arthur - Even Robin Hood. I was taught in English and had the choice
    of languages between French and Gaelic. I and 22 other class mates
    chose Gaelic - there were over 300 in my class.

Bonnie Prince Charlie, Culloden and God Save the King
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/sceptred_isle/page/105.shtml?question=105

I believe that the "Rebellious Scots" verse from has since been
removed from "God Save the King/Queen" and only the first verse is
official but I'm a Yank and I'm more familiar with "My Country Tis of
Thee."

Other bloody national anthems:
    http://digischool.bart.nl/mu/volklied/france.htm
    http://digischool.bart.nl/mu/volklied/usa.htm