Dear Rick,

"The Story of English" was extremely well done, and I assume the facts
were pretty accurate, but the thesis it promoted was, in my view, very
problematic.  The only section I could really evaluate was on Scots (and to
some extent Gaelic), and I found it infuriating in its assumptions about the
wonderful way English supplanted them.  It simply did not happen that way
nor was its priviliging welcomed.

I saw it too long ago to be specific, but I do think it was an exercise in
presumption and self congratulation that dismissed other cultures.  I am
remembering my distressed reaction rather than specific examples.
Nancy