----------
>Von: Rickard A Parker <[log in to unmask]>
>An: [log in to unmask]
>Betreff: Re: 4Q, BN and the bird
>Datum: Die, 20. Mär 2001 19:26 Uhr
>

>A multi-page web site:
>   Time, Eternity, and Immortality in T. S. Eliot's Four Quartets
>   Terry L. Fairchild
>   http://www.mum.edu/msvs/9199terry.html
>
>Regards,
>   Rick Parker

Thanks Rick,

here's an excerpt from the aforementioned pages on TDS:

*Such critics as Nancy Gish read Eliot's river as a destructive force only
(1981, p. 108), a view inconsistent with Eliot's typical symbolic
patterning. As we have continuously seen, Eliot's chief symbols, the rose,
the circle, dancing, fire, all possess dual [sometimes: multiple / GJ]
characteristics-time and the timeless, permanent and impermanent, sublime
and profane, creative and destructive. However, words such as "implacable,"
"destroyer," "unhonored, [and] unpropitiated / By worshippers of the
machine" seem initially to confirm Gish's pessimistic view. But the river is
not simply destructive; untamed and elemental, it is also the antithesis of
"the dwellers in the city" who have forgotten the primal font from which all
life springs.*

Dear Nancy,

I'm making one last effort with my bookseller to obtain
*Time in the Poetry of T.S. Eliot* (London, Macmillan, 1981)

Cheers,

G.