Welcome to TSE

"Greg Foster" <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Fri, 17 Nov 1995 21:28:18 -0600

text/plain

Welcome, as the Subject line says, to our new T. S. Eliot list.  As
of today, we have close to 50 subscribers, which is not bad,
considering that we had only 5 when we publicly announced the new
list yesterday morning.  At that rate of increase, everyone in the
world should be subscribed by the end of next week.

Let me introduce myself, hoping that you (not to mention my
co-listowner, Timothy Materer) will be inspired to do the same and
help us get started.  My name is Greg Foster.  I'm a modern British
literature scholar at the University of Missouri-Columbia, where I'm
just finishing up a Ph.D.  My dissertation, which I'll defend in
March, is on T. S. Eliot (surprise!) and Darwin's theory of
evolution.  The relation of literature and science is one of my
strongest interests. Most recently, I've been working on an article
on Eliot and murder, which developed out of a study of the Sweeney
poems as a satire of popular evolutionism.  I'm also a poet--my
Master's was an M.F.A.--which no doubt influences my approach to
literature and scholarship both, though the diss., teaching, and the
job search have left me little time lately for much extra-academic
writing.

Now, to business, and pleasure: We need to decide what we want to do
with our list now that we have one.  Tim and I have a few ideas, for
a start, but we're hoping they'll soon be supplemented by your own
suggestions:

   o [The obvious:] Talk about Eliot's work.  The list will be
     unmoderated unless we are forced to make it otherwise, so
     just about anything goes.  I personally would like this to
     be a forum in which readers of all levels are welcome,
     from novices and undergraduates to established authorities.
     As a matter of netiquette, of course, whatever we discuss, we
     we should try always to use and retain descriptive Subject
     lines so the more selective among us can easily follow the
     threads they find most interesting.

   o Our own work.  As an international community of Eliot
     enthusiasts and scholars, we should be an ideal resource
     for answering each other's Eliot queries, and an ideal
     test audience for each other's work in progress.

   o Specific projects.  This is only going to interest hardcore Eliot
     aficionados, I guess, but number one on my list would be a Name
     Index to the uncollected prose.  Wouldn't it be nice to have a
     central resource--a web page, say--which could tell us quickly
     and easily in which publications Eliot mentions a particular
     author or thinker?  This is within our grasp if we are willing
     to divide up the responsibility, each taking a few entries from
     the Gallup bibliography.  (For that matter, we could also set
     up a print-medium exchange, to help each other get copies of
     articles not carried by our local libraries.)

--And with that I open the floor, permanently, and invite the list at
large to influence what we do and discuss.

Greg Foster

P.S. To send messages to the list--almost forgot to mention
     this!--use the address [log in to unmask]

"Fine art is the refinement, not the antithesis, of popular art."