MOBIRDS-L May 2020, Week 2

Re: NO SIGHTINGS: eBird Filter Regions

Edge Wade <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 May 2020 14:02:11 -0400

text/plain

Mobirders,

I was first going to thank and compliment Ryan and Josh via private response, but on reconsideration, realized they deserve public acknowledgement for this
major effort and for their diligence in eBird volunteer activities, in general.

Ryan and Josh, THANK YOU!  The number of hours spent on the filter revision in reviewing data and subsequent actions represents a significant effort in many ways.  This has been a herculean task of great value in representing bird occurrence, birder expectations, and refinement of the database.

Filters are a representation of a complex, fluid data set and birder experience.  The new filters are a significant milestone in fine tuning.

I especially commend you on the revised chickadee filters.  What an improvement on the filters based on 1980s data for this dynamic two species range variance.

Thank you,

Edge Wade
Yeoman (member of free class below the gentry) birder

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Douglas" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "MOBIRDS-L" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 7:50:16 PM
Subject: NO SIGHTINGS: eBird Filter Regions

Missouri Birders,

At the heart of eBird is a series of filters that delimit which bird
species are expected, and how many individuals of each species are
expected. If you report a bird that's not on the filter list, or report 10
individuals when only 5 are "expected," it trips the filter and throws the
observation into review. If the filters are bad, then all sorts of
potentially spurious observations can sail on through into the public eBird
database. As you might expect, the more eBird filters we have,
generally speaking, the more likely we'll be to have intriguing
observations flagged.

Ten years ago this month, when I started as an eBird reviewer for Missouri,
we had eight eBird filter regions. Today, after tireless work by Josh
Uffman (and a little help here and there from me), Missouri now has 56
eBird filter regions. Having more regions allows us to more finely tune the
filters for each part of the state. Each time we create a new filter, we
run *all* eBird data for that area through the new filter to see if
anything slipped through years ago. So, if you get an email from us asking
about a Common Tern you reported in 2011, that's probably why.

Several years ago, eBird enabled us to build dynamic filters that can
change whether a species is expected, and how many individuals are
expected, on an almost daily basis. (Previously, we could only have one
expected count per species for an entire month). Because of that, you might
see a count of 1 Least Flycatcher flagged on April 23, but not April 24.
Similarly, a count of 5 Least Flycatchers might be flagged on April 24, but
not on April 30.

As you might expect, managing filters for ~400 taxa across 56 filter
regions is a gargantuan effort (again, mostly handled by Josh Uffman). The
current filters are not infallible, so you might find something that makes
you scratch your head from time to time. If you do, *please *send an email
to me or Josh. We *love* fixing errors (it makes our lives easier as
reviewers in the long run).  We do not currently have the ability to break
down the state filters below the county level.

Since it's been a long time (if ever?) since the filter regions have been
shared widely, we'd like to share a link to an image showing the current
eBird filter regions on a map. Each contiguous color bound by a thick black
line represents one filter region (*e.g.*, Clark, Lewis, and Marion Cos. in
the northeast corner are all under the same filter). I apologize to our
colorblind users. If anyone can suggest a suitable colorblind-accessible
palette for this map I'd love to hear from you.

I've uploaded our current map to my Flickr page: https://flic.kr/p/2iZQg3E
(I'm happy to share a KML file of the regions if anyone has a use for it)

It is important to note that all of these filter regions were created with
specific reasons in mind. Please email *Ryan *directly if you'd like to
hear the rationale for the current placement of your favorite
county (please don't bug the other reviewers, Ryan volunteered to be the
point person for this). If there's something that bugs you about your local
eBird filter every time you go out and bird, Ryan would love to hear from
you.

How do we decide when we need a new eBird filter region? I'm glad you
asked! Here are just a few examples:

   - Linn Co. - We noticed a large number of Fish Crow observations there
   this year, but not in surrounding counties. So, Linn Co. became its own
   filter region so observers don't have to deal with a flagged sighting every
   time they see a Fish Crow.
   - Cedar/Dade/Polk Co. - Home to Stockton Reservoir, so they get a lot of
   birds surrounding counties do not get.
   - Chariton Co//Holt Co - Home to well-visited National Wildlife Refuges,
   they both get plenty of birds you don't often find in surrounding counties
   - St. Charles/St. Louis/Boone/Cape Girardeau/Adair/Greene/Cole - More
   populated than surrounding regions, thus more heavily birded. The more an
   area is birded, the more tightly we can tune the filters for that area.
   - Monroe/Ralls Co. - Home to Mark Twain Lake, so it hosts gulls you're
   unlikely to see in surrounding counties.

Why are there so many single county filters in the center of the state? In
a word, chickadees. Josh spent several days fine-tuning our Black-capped
Chickadee vs. Carolina Chickadee vs. Carolina/Black-capped Chickadee
filters recently, and it turned out that the best way to get the chickadees
right was to blow up a lot of our earlier filters that spanned big chunks
of the state. I have also uploaded a map for chickadees in Missouri here (I
believe this map should be colorblind-friendly): https://flic.kr/p/2iZKYxp

It should be noted that in the "Mix" region of the chickadee map you will
find some combination of two or three of Black-capped Chickadee, Carolina
Chickadee, and Carolina/Black-capped Chickadee on the default checklists in
eBird. Please do not hesitate to use "Carolina/Black-capped Chickadee"
anywhere in the state at any time if you are unsure of your chickadee
identification.

So, again, please feel free to email me directly if you have any questions
about Missouri's eBird filters (or hotspots!).

Cheers,

Ryan Douglas
Montgomery County, MD
Missouri eBird Reviewer/Hotspot Editor

Josh Uffman
St. Louis County, MO
Missouri eBird Reviewer

CANCELED - MBS Spring Meeting: May 1-3, 2020 in Cape Girardeau, MO - CANCELED
Details and online registration FOR FUTURE MEETINGS at: http://www.mobirds.org/ASM/Meetings.aspx

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/