Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  March 2018

TSE March 2018

FW: [pen-l] Fwd: Max Blumenthal and the Streisand Effect | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

"Cox, Carrol" <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Tue, 13 Mar 2018 02:38:00 +0000

text/plain

The post below is evidence that my intolerance of naked links is not limited to the Eliot list.Posts that do not include at least a paragraph or so of the posters own views are, I think, an insult to the list members, regardless of the topic.

The virtual death of the list began with Facebook and Twiiter, as has been shown on other list where there had been extensive conversation from many viewpoints. But that death was confirmed by those posters who mainly posted links and refused to develop their own ideas.

Are there no posters on the list who know Virgil well enough to respond to Nancy? I must admit that over the years I gave far more attentyion to the Homeric epics, to Milton, to the Prelude, and the Cantos. I have read Dryden's translation, but never really kept up on it.

Incidentally, a decade or so ago a major Milton scholar wrote several articles suggesting that the source of Paradise Regained was Vifrgil's Georgoics. I don't remember them well or even the name of the critic, but Nancy might find them useful to look up.

On PR. For about 20 years I tried unsuccessfully to get a grip (a) on the powerful and quite quiet style of the poem and (b) The Temptation of Athens in Book IV as relevant to the question of the overload not only of information but of wisdom. I connected PR to a comment in the prefatory material to the Dunciad, which I had always misrembered as "a flood of bad books," but then discovered that it was merely a "flood of books."

The Reformation, the political upheavals, the discovery of the "New World," the great advances in physical science destroyed forever the world in which one person could read almost everything important. "Everyone," really, should read and reread Sartres's Being and Nothingness. I had barely started on it when my eyes failed me. I read Don Juan (Byron) in the mid '50s, and was sad when the poem ended. I always intended to get b ack to it and never did. Sad. But this is the penalty of living in a world in which rhwew has been a huge overload of good writing and important thought!

So be it.

Apologies for the typos above. My sight is almost completely gone.

Carrol

***