]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  November 2017

TSE November 2017

Re: NY Times On Works of Unethical Artists

"Cox, Carrol" <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Sat, 18 Nov 2017 20:53:30 +0000

text/plain

TWL is, I still think, a great and important poem. But any attempt whatever to defend the despicable racist views it embodies makes it impossible to grasp its greatness or importance. Many great poems embody despicable attitudes-- a glaring example is "An Irish Airman Foresees His death. That poem has to be seen through the lens provided by the last 10 minutes or so ob All Quiet On The Western Front." The Airma  is a _Terrorist_, and the poem praises individual joy in death and destruction for the sake of death and destruction. No admirer of Yeats (and I am a strong admirer) should try to defend the a ttitudes the poem embodies.

Anyone who defends or excuses Eliot's contempotible racism is slandering his poems, not praising them.

Tom & Nancy have it right. Denial of their arguments is contemptible.

Incidentally, Celias death in The Cocktail Party is also contemptibly racist.

I am not criticizeing Eliot's poems. And I love "Irish Airman" -- but to praise the peoms we have to see them clearly, not through a broken lens of Eliot-Worship.

Carrol