Re: Reporting accurately on eBird

Them Murphys <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Jul 2017 19:23:37 -0500

text/plain

I can tell you for a fact that, as a beginner-intermediate birder, I often
cannot identify a species by sound and, when it comes to shorebirds or
waterfowl that are far away when I only have binoculars, there are many
times that I cannot see them clearly enough to identify them by sight
either.  So my level of experience definitely affects my counts.  And how to
count well is a learned process that takes time to develop as well--and I
learn from the other birders that I follow on eBird--especially you Andy and
Chrissy, since I live close to Carondelet Park.

Are we certain that the ebird reviewers compare counts?

In time, we'll all get better at it,
Maureen Thomas-Murphy
St Louis

-----Original Message-----
From: Edge Wade
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Reporting accurately on eBird

There is a factor in comparing reports that Danny may not be considering.

I have severe hearing loss and wear hearing aids that compensate to some
degree.  I have no doubt that if I were to keep a list of heard only birds
on the same birding trip as Danny or the many other full-hearing capable
birders I know (to me, often amazingly aurally gifted), our numbers would
differ significantly.

So, for many instances, discrepancies in eBird reports are not due to an
underestimate nor a lack of noting on paper or electronically at the time
birds are heard, but a real difference in the ability to detect them.
Sometimes this is due to a birder not yet knowing one or more vocalizations
of a species, but very often it is a matter of an average or below average
hearing ability that results in a lower number recorded compared to a "super
ear".

The "super ears" among us often bird alone or with others similarly gifted.
We all benefit from their ability and skill. On occasion, I have found a
"super ear" to be unaware of the handicap some of us bird with, and expresss
shock, dismay (or a couple of times, even disdain) when we don't hear a bird
they hear well.

I really enjoy birding with those with sharp hearing, whose attention is
often focused on the sounds around them, while I am "freed up" from intense
listening so am freer to use sight to detect birds the listener has not
detected because it is silent or sitting out of his/her field of view.  This
way, we both benefit by becoming aware of more species/individuals present
than we would have if birding alone.

Whatever your skill level, eyesight, hearing, or walking ability, bird on!
A birding adventure is a psychological lift and, if results are reported,
adds to our knowledge of birds.

Bodacious birding--and stay Cool!

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO