complimentary birding skills

Jean Leonatti <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Jul 2017 11:26:56 -0500

text/plain

I agree with Edge that it takes many skills to have a good birding experience. I am told by my birding friends that I have "good ears" --- however I am not good at spotting birds because my vision is impaired with lively and abundant "floaties" (those who have them, know what I am talking about). When I see movement, it might be a bird, it might be a visual distortion, it might be a falling leaf, it might be nothing. I enjoy having someone with "good eyes" along as we compliment each other's skill. I know a couple of beginners who are superb spotters even if they can't yet name all the birds. I might hear something and can whisper to the spotter "there is something different over here, high, left" and the spotter can find it before I do; or the spotter might say "I see movement there but I can't see all of the bird", and if I can focus in and hear it, I might know what it is, or can at least narrow down the choices. We can work together and get more out of the birding experience than either of us can get individually.

A word of caution - when I (or someone like me with "good ears") say "shhh" (politely of course) or walk away from the group, I am not being anti-social. One of the keys to "birding by ear" is to be able to filter out all the extraneous sounds and noises to be able to focus on the ONE sound that you are trying to identify. If you don't bird by ear, you would be astonished by how many natural (bugs, wind, birds, water, plants rubbing together, etc.) and man-made (voices, traffic, etc.) sounds there are that your mind has to push aside in order to be able to focus on the one sound that you do want to hear. Some of my birding friends have learned to read my body language and they will say "Jean's gone on point again" when they can tell that I have gone very still and am trying to focus on a sound (I have also learned when I am with paid guides to watch for that same body language with them). The appropriate response to that is not to yell "Wha'cha got? What's that bird?" but instead to quietly and slowly work your way over to where the "good ears" person is and see if you can help to spot what they are hearing. Quietly and slowly is hard to do in the excitement of the moment, I am a big offender - I wish I had a dollar for every time I was told to stop POINTING, my arm just juts out there before I even know what is happening!

And I couldn't agree more with Edge that birding gives me a psychological lift. It has gotten me through many a difficult time! Sometimes I just don't want to count, I just want to enjoy, and I think that is OK too.
Jean Leonatti
Boone County
Columbia, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Edge Wade
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Reporting accurately on eBird

There is a factor in comparing reports that Danny may not be considering.

I have severe hearing loss and wear hearing aids that compensate to some degree. I have no doubt that if I were to keep a list of heard only birds on the same birding trip as Danny or the many other full-hearing capable birders I know (to me, often amazingly aurally gifted), our numbers would differ significantly.

So, for many instances, discrepancies in eBird reports are not due to an underestimate nor a lack of noting on paper or electronically at the time birds are heard, but a real difference in the ability to detect them. Sometimes this is due to a birder not yet knowing one or more vocalizations of a species, but very often it is a matter of an average or below average hearing ability that results in a lower number recorded compared to a "super ear".

The "super ears" among us often bird alone or with others similarly gifted. We all benefit from their ability and skill. On occasion, I have found a "super ear" to be unaware of the handicap some of us bird with, and expresss shock, dismay (or a couple of times, even disdain) when we don't hear a bird they hear well.

I really enjoy birding with those with sharp hearing, whose attention is often focused on the sounds around them, while I am "freed up" from intense listening so am freer to use sight to detect birds the listener has not detected because it is silent or sitting out of his/her field of view. This way, we both benefit by becoming aware of more species/individuals present than we would have if birding alone.

Whatever your skill level, eyesight, hearing, or walking ability, bird on! A birding adventure is a psychological lift and, if results are reported, adds to our knowledge of birds.

Bodacious birding--and stay Cool!

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO