]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  June 2016, Week 1

MOBIRDS-L June 2016, Week 1

ADMIN: new policy on abusive private emails

David Scheu <[log in to unmask]>

David Scheu <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Jun 2016 16:05:17 +0000

text/plain

Bryan,

I am revoking your right to post to MOBirds-L, effective immediately, for repeated harassment of list subscribers with abusive personal emails. I believe that you are doing this privately because you were warned not to do so on this list, but I still consider this to be abuse of this list, and in some ways it's even worse.  I know from personal experience that however embarrassing being on the receiving end of a public rant may be, a private attack can feel far more isolating and intimidating. I find it deplorable.

I regret having to take this action publicly, but I feel it is necessary for two reasons:

First, because Charlene was only the first person to complain, and we've since learned that she is by no means the only one of our subscribers who feels harassed by your emails. I don't know how many others are out there, but it is quite clear that this is not an isolated incident. I say this here because I want to make sure all of our subscribers know that they have the right not to be abused or insulted because of what they post on this list.

And second, because this incident has brought about a policy change that everyone else needs to hear about. In the past we have not gotten involved in private email matters, but from now on, subscribers who send repeated unwanted private emails to other subscribers will not be allowed to participate in this forum. We will revoke posting rights only as a last resort, but if we see a pattern of abusive behavior, we will take that action.

MOBirders, if you feel you are being harassed by another subscriber privately because of what you post on this list, we ask that you please bring it to our attention. Likewise, if someone else asks you to stop emailing them, we ask that you please respect that wish.

And finally, I'd like to ask that this be the end of the on-list discussion of this matter. I welcome any comments and feedback, but please send them privately to Susan and I.

Dave Scheu

MOBirds-L list co-owner