Re: Further Observations on Prufrock

Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Tue, 27 Oct 2015 15:20:00 -0500

text/plain

Actually, no new critic, including the ones I practically memorized and
based my own thought on, _ever_ actually thought a poem was an isolated
fact.

As I mentioned when I first came on the list some years ago I was here
mostly for nostalgic reasons; back in the 1940s and 1950s Eliot as poet and
critic was very nearly central in my education and thought. That affection
remains  but a dozen or so other pets, novelists, dramatists, & critics have
come to have far more weight in my reading. I am increasingly bored by those
on this list who seem to think any response to Eliot other than their own is
not only incorrect (everyone has to believe him/herself :-;) but somehow
immoral. That sort of juvenile egotism is a great yawn. Ignore it.

Carrol

-----Original Message-----
From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Nancy Gish
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 11:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Further Observations on Prufrock

I have been trying to think how one could answer this very personal, rude,
and astonishing direct address informing me by name what I need to do and
how I have failed.

So I have failed again. There is no way to answer it except in kind, and
that is not useful.

But the assumptions behind Ken's theory (it is a theory, not a fact or set
of facts) are simply no longer tenable. As a quick random sample, read Jayme
Stayer's work that CR posted. Or the fascinating sources in Robert
Crawford's bio or Nancy Hargrove's account of Eliot in Paris or the
connections in Däumer and Bagchee's collection of essays on international
Eliot or Anita Patterson's fascinating account of links to Japan or Louis
Rainey's dating of TWL fragments by paper and typewriter or the many studies
of Eliot and Dante or Eliot's own letters or the writings of his colleagues
and friends--read anything other than New Critical rewrites if you are at
all interested in poetry and its importance. Read any major scholarship in
the past several decades, and you will not find this assumption that a poem,
as published, is a thing in itself with no connection to its author,
culture, history, composition, or anything at all except its meaning "to
me"--which many students imagine is anything at all.

I have no idea what Ken imagines I have been doing for half my life to be
utterly obtuse and incompetent about reading poetry.
Nancy

>>> Ken Armstrong 10/25/15 10:20 AM >>>
Nancy,

You and I it appears think of "making" differently. In my way of thinking
about it, it is not possible for us to "know a great deal more about it than
Lewis did" -- because Lewis had the poem. We might learn more about the
background to its composition, but either the "making" is accessible through
the poem itself, ie it is a successful poem, or it isn't.  And the degree to
which it is or isn't, or a comprehending rendering of its registry as a
poem, what it does as a poem, also does not depend on ever expanding
background data.

I know what the usual objections to this are, and I know where they go off
track. But communicating that I'm not so good at, because really, to
understand what I'm trying to get at you 'd have to, as Eliot once said,
believe it first. Perhaps "see it first" or "experience it first" would be
less objectionable ways of putting it. The long and short of it is, you have
to work out not what the poem meant for Eliot -- he gave you all you need to
know when he published it -- but what it means for you, Nancy Gish, for your
existence as a human being, i.e. you have to participate, really participate
with your whole being, in the creative act that is the making of the poem.
It can't just be Eliot's life on the line, it has to be yours, too. Always
referring it back to Eliot only guarantees that the creative act will never
be availed to a reader, thus the whole purpose of having the poem in the
first place is defeated.

As I said, I'm not particularly skilled at presenting this. I offered the
Lewis piece really just because Eliot in it is so un-Prufrock like, I hoped
it might be a wake-up call that shakes someone off that dead-end track.

Ken A