GLOBAL-L June 2015

Re: Phone apps questions

Rebêlo | PZ <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Jun 2015 12:38:13 -0300

text/plain

Steven,

Henk's suggestion is a very good one. KYMS is a good app for general usage. But you if your files are truly sensitive, you should look for a customized solution as well.

The problem with KYMS (and others) is basically the trust-factor. Since you don't have access to their code, you are trusting that they actually do the proper cryptography and trusting them to not keep your files. It's the same trust-factor you should have with cloud services such as Dropbox, OneDrive, Box and others. If they are forced to share the private key (due to a judicial order, for example) with the government, than you're doomed.

In this sense, customized solutions are way better than mobile devices. But, again, it's entire up to the kind of usage and kind of sensitive information you're carrying.

Regards.
Rebelo.

--
rebelo.org