8th Annual Vertebrate Pentathlon

"Miller, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>

Miller, Terry

Mon, 27 Apr 2015 22:46:40 +0000

text/plain

On Saturday, April 25th, the 8th Annual KHS Vertebrate Pentathlon competition occurred on a cool, rainy, and overcast day!!   Areas visited include Watkins Mill SP, Kendorza CA, Cooley Lake CA, Martha LaFite Nature Sanctuary, Smithville Lake, Crystal Lakes, Tryst Falls County Park and some private ponds and lands, etc….  And, of course, all the roads and country while in transit between them.
For those unfamiliar with our Pentathlon, it was a competition I created eight years ago that involves identifying (seeing/hearing) as many amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals.  At least two members of a team must see/hear a species to count it.  Fish species must be caught (one of each species is all that is required) and additional points occur with any herptile that is actually caught (all released unharmed).  Finally, points are given for as many species of active bird nests found (not disturbed).   We start at 5:00 a.m. and end at 8:00 p.m..  NOTE:  The MDC is aware of the competition and proper ethics occur.

My fellow science teacher, Mike Niles, took 2 students for his team: Max Ivy (Jr.) and Anthony D’Arienzo (Soph.). His third student could not attend at the last moment.  I had 3 students: Matt Beisemeyer (Sr.), David Weaver (Soph.), and Rose Miller - my daughter (Sr.).  The ultimate purpose of this event is to provide select students with an experience that will last a lifetime and hopefully light a fire of passion for knowing and understanding our precious gift of nature!!

 RESULTS:  My team was finally able to win one (489-467) with Mike Niles’ teams still ahead 5-3 in the series.   Reptiles proved to be the deciding factor again as each team caught 2 species but my team was able to find two additional species (20 points)!!   My team identified 81 species of birds while Niles’ team identified 88 species. The combined total of bird species for both teams was 104 species!!
I will list all species at the end of this posting but I will now indicate several of the highlights of the day.  These are primarily ones mentioned during our tallying of scores and reflecting and sharing as the teams met at Subway:

- a student’s joy at reflecting about a beautiful Common Loon seen through Niles’ spotting scope within a 100 yards.

- the same student was in awe of the overlook of the wetlands at Cooley Lake CA.

- at Crystal Lakes main spillway, 200 tree, rough-winged, and cliff swallows flew within a 30 yard area to amazement of the students.  They were so dense it appeared they would fly into each other.

-  a student getting into the fun of the competition was thrilled as they  spotted an American Kestrel, that no one else had noticed, on top of a telephone pole eating a mouse.

- the sophomore student with Niles who had never fished caught his first 6 catfish!! He also wanted to see an owl all day and was elated when he spotted a Barred Owl in the last 20 minutes of the competition!!

- the same student’s highlight of the day was his expressed amazement at seeing his first Indigo Bunting.

- getting up before 4:00 a.m. took its toll as one student literally fell asleep in the van next to me as I was asking him a question…

-  my team really enjoyed the two Barred Owls I called in that perched about 50 yards away early in the morning.  They really lost it when we were driving very slowly listening for bird calls during the last hour and a Barred Owl flew right in front of us and perched 10 feet away on a post.  It was intent on the “mouse” down in the grass but alternatively looked right at us and then back toward the “mouse” over and over again!!

- I have a very old frog pond and we were able to net a Central Newt.  The students were all fascinated by its smallness and delicate but delightful features!!

- every time we find Scissor-tailed flycatchers it is always special and Niles’ team was delighted by four near Liberty Hills Golf course.

- Mike Niles spotted a Blue-winged Teal flapping and struggling in the water and guessed that it was a snapping turtle that had grabbed one of its legs?

- we didn’t expect to find very many reptiles on such a rainy dreary day.  Knowing that reptiles always seems to be the defeating factor for my team, I lifted a large limestone rock at Kendorza during the rain and a beautiful 3 ½ foot long E. Yellowbellied Racer was laying there.  I suggested to the student with me to quickly pick it up but…hesitation with reptiles is usually not very good…so with his reluctance I quickly grabbed the snake before he escaped.

- finally, a weird and embarrassing experience!!  My team had just gotten pretty wet as the rain caught us way out on a levee at Kendorza CA.  I wanted to quickly check out the small lake up on the hill (and this is where we caught a ring-necked snake and the racer mentioned above) so I took one student with me and left my daughter and another student in the van so they wouldn’t get any wetter.  Well, they remained where they were in the middle seats and those windows are tinted.  While we were gone another truck pulled up right beside them and evidently did not see them in my van.  A father and a 10 year old son got out and all of a sudden the boy drops his pants and does a # 2 right there between the two vehicles!!  Both my daughter and the other student looked away but, wow, they were both overwhelmed and embarrassed!! Who would have expected to see such a full moon on a cloudy day!?!?

	Regardless of the last story, the great lesson we always take away from this competition is what drives us all on this forum to get out into nature…you just never know what will happen or what you will see!!  The beauty found in God’s creation is so intoxicating, so addicting, and so rejuvenating!!  Thanks be to God for such blessed opportunities!!

Birds (104):
Canada goose
Wood duck
Gadwall
American Widgeon
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal
N. Shoveler
Canvasback
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Hooded Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Wild Turkey
Common Loon – 4 – Smithville lake
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe – 4 Smithville lake dam
Eared Grebe – 4 Smithville lake dam
Double-crested Cormorant
American Bittern – 1 – Cooley Lake CA
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Green Heron
Turkey Vulture
Osprey – numerous at various locations
Bald Eagle
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Cooper’s Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk – nest at Watkin’s Mill SP
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Sora – Cooley Lake CA
American Coot
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper - several
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Baird’s Sandpiper
Bonaparte’s Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Eurasian Collared Dove
Mourning Dove
Barred Owl
Chimney Swift
Belted Kingfisher
Red-headed Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
N. Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker – Kendorza CA
E. Phoebe
E. Kingbird
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher – 4 – near Liberty Hills Golf course
Blue Jay
American Crow
Horned Lark
Purple Martin
Tree Swallow
N. Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Marsh Wren – Cooley Lake CA
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
E. Bluebird
American Robin
N. Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
N. Parula
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
E. Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Lark Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Lark Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Harris’s Sparrow – numerous at various locations
White-crowned Sparrow
N. Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
E. Meadowlark
Common Grackle
Great-tailed Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Baltimore Oriole
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Fish Caught:

Largemouth Bass
Green Sunfish
Bluegill
Channel Catfish
Black Crappie
White Crappie
Carp
Creek Chub

Amphibians: (* = caught)

Bullfrog*
W. Chorus Frog
Blanchard’s Cricket Frog*
Leopard Frog species*
Gray Treefrog*
Spring Peeper
American Toad*
Central Newt*

Reptiles: (* = Caught)

W. Painted Turtle
Five-lined Skink*
Ringneck Snake*
Brown Snake*
E. Yellow-bellied Racer*

Mammals:

White-tailed Deer
Cottontail
E. Fox Squirrel
Gray Squirrel
Opossum
Striped Skunk

Bird Nests Active:

Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Am. Robin
E. Phoebe
House Sparrow
Purple Martin
Great Blue Heron
Canada Geese
E. Bluebird
Wild Turkey
Red-shouldered Hawk

Terry L. Miller
Kearney High School
Ecology/College Zoology/Genetics/Botany/Astronomy Teacher
816-628-4585

"It is the inherent dignity of every human person that we must strive to respect, to inspire, and to believe in....and what a great responsibility we have as teachers and role models!"

"If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in."       Rachel Carson

ASM Fall Meeting: April 24-26, 2015 in Saint Louis