GLOBAL-L November 2014

Re: Italy Most Hidden Secret

Leo Reitano <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Nov 2014 17:34:15 +0000

text/plain

Thanks for your precious remarks Serena, I did a quick report on the
most evident aspects related to Saviano. We can add that it was an
appeal sentence that condamned Saviano for plagiarism (the first trial
sentence was in his favour) but this is just the court evidence,
rumours coming from the journalists from Campania are much more
severe, Saviano just gathered and published many discoveries made by
several local investigative journalists efficiently reprashing this
discoveries on his "novel?" on the three pages he was condamned may be
he was not so able on rewriting this discoveries.
As for Pisani it must be pointed out that the hierarchy of Interior
Ministry in Italy suddenly declaired after Pisani interview that the
police escort was legitimate, a statement that is more than a warning
to a simple police officer like Pisani.
So the fact that he had a "milder" evaluation on 2014 could be a
simple effect of the implicit pressure coming from the Ministry of
Interior.

Moreover it is correct  to highlight that "Vittorio Pisani" has been
deeply attacked for his statement by top notch italian journalists
like "giuseppe D'avanzo"
(http://www.repubblica.it/2009/10/sezioni/politica/giustizia-13/poliziotto-saviano/poliziotto-saviano.html)
who said that "Pisani was a shady figure incline to friendiness with
the mob".

And  that  later on he was investigated for "favoreggiamento" word
that means "helping the crime", by the italian magistrates(here the
article:http://www.corriere.it/cronache/11_giugno_30/pisani-napoli-squadra-mobile-indagato_aba6eff0-a2ed-11e0-9bbf-ebc35d9cc61e.shtml)

In 2013 Pisani has been declared innocent of "favoreggiamento".

(http://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/notizie/2013-12-18/vittorio-pisani-ex-capo-squadra-mobile-napoli-e-stato-assolto-processo-camorra--154836.shtml?uuid=AB54Mrk)

But even if declared innocent clearly his career in the italian state
police has been burned...I am not surprised that he decided, after all
of this, to keep  a "low profile".

Now I've just reported few of the italian web pages criticizing
Saviano, who whish to know more could freely google on it, and google
translate it.

I have no prejudices against Saviano, in 2006 I invited him for a
lecture at the master on investigative journalism that I was
supervising in Italy.

But in time I started to think differently even for the many critiques
spreading around his figure. If there was a spectacularization of
Saviano figure he got part of responsibilities on it. I've met many
magistrates, and journalist under police escort no one was using it as
honour medal as he did.

I think that what I've wrote put Saviano in the right light, from
antimafia myth to a controversial figure that in your interpretation
Serena is that of a person trapped in a mechanism by far bigger than
him, in mine is different.

 I can't prove that Saviano he's consciously  part of it, I just
saying that the clamour organized around him was effective on
presenting antimafia efforts Italy on a certain light especially to
foreign audiences.

And certain light means that Saviano has been perfect to sell the
image of a country where the State and the antimafia heroes are on a
side and the mafia is on the other side.

The whole ongoing trial related to the "trattativa" regarding the pact
between Cosa Nostra and many high ranks Carabinieri(italian military
police) officers   how much have been noticed by foreign audience and
foreign investigative journalists community?
(http://www.direttanews.it/2014/09/27/trattative-stato-mafia-pg-scarpinato-chiede-riapertura-dibattimento-processo-mori/)

The facts that generale Mori (involved in the trattativa trial) was
for several years head of the internal secret service and that he have
been discosed as right wing extremist and spearhead of the
antiamerican section of italian secret services how much is known?

(http://www.loraquotidiano.it/2014/11/21/lex-007-maletti-su-mori-vicino-allestrema-destra_13614/)

(http://www.lettera35.it/mori-sid-commissione-p2/)

 The fact that several high ranks carabinieri officers commanding the
special antimafia squads  (ROS) have been sentenced for drug smuggling
and other mayor crimes how much is known?  And the fact that even
after they have been sentenced guilty they were never removed from
theirs commanding roles how much is known?

(http://www.bergamonews.it/cronaca/ganzer-condannato-14-anni-il-generale-resta-al-comando-154986)

As well there is an important magistrate like Roberto Scarpinato that
is pointing out that there was and there is part of the italian state
(meaning "rogue"sections of italian secret services) who were using
the mafia to pursue certain political and geopolitical effects, and
that the Falcone and Borsellino death is much more an "affair of
state" than a "affair of mafia ".

So again I've nothing personal against Saviano, even pointing out the
facts above that could be considered a lesser or a bigger
vulnerability to his ethicity, but I am totally against the way
Saviano has been used or promoted to present , especially to foreign
audience,  antimafia fight in Italy.  Way that in my opinion is
misleading.

For more readings about antimafia fight in Italy

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Scarpinato