Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  October 2013

TSE October 2013

Re: Tiresias

"Rickard A. Parker" <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Sun, 6 Oct 2013 05:56:28 -0500

text/plain

Hey CR, when your book was published did it come out one page at a time?

I'd find it easier to follow your thoughts if they were expressed in a
paragraph.

Regards,
   Rick Parker

On Sat, 5 Oct 2013 11:37:52 -0700, Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>an excerpt from Wiki�

"At the request of Eliot's wife, Vivienne, a line in the A Game of Chess
section was removed from the poem: "And we shall play a game of chess/The
ivory men make company between us / Pressing lidless eyes and waiting for a
knock upon the door". This section is apparently based on their marital
life, and she may have felt these lines too revealing. However, the "ivory
men" line may have meant something to Eliot: in 1960, thirteen years after
Vivienne's death, he inserted the line in a copy made for sale to aid the
London Library, of which he was President at the time..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Waste_Land

CR